Wilson, Josiah make their mark in Tobago

OLYMPIAN TRIATHLETE Jason Wilson and national triathlete Oein Josiah have done it again, this time capturing gold in their respective categories at the Massy Rainbow Cup event held in Tobago earlier this month.

Wilson completed the Olympic triathlon (1.5k swim, 40k bike and 10k run) in a time of 2:04:36. The last occasion the Olympian would have competed in this particular race was seven years ago when he successfully won the event.

“I had Olympics last year and qualifications for the Olympics would have been the four years before that.

“The race went better than expected for me. Since the Olympics in Rio [last year] I haven’t really been doing much training,” he said during a telephone interview with NATION SPORT yesterday.

“The course in Tobago is very difficult, but the hills are one of my strengths, so to prepare for it I was doing a lot of riding and hill repeats down on the East Coast which are way harder than what we rode on in Tobago. I think I prepared for it very well with the little time I had, and I was pretty happy to come home with a win in that race.”

Wilson, who recently graduated as an engineer, will be heading back onto the circuit from July 2.

“I am now getting back into training over the last couple of months, so I used this race as a warm-up for the beginning of my season, which starts in France next month. I will be based in Europe for the remainder of the summer doing races over there,” he said.

Josiah, who successfully defended his 2016 title, finished the sprint triathlon (750 metre swim, 20k bike and 5k run) in a time of 1:07:37.

After the event, he said the highlight of the trip for him was being a roommate and team member with Olympian Jason Wilson.

“I believe this was a wellexecuted race. It was definitely an encourager and mental booster after my third-place finish at Martinique’s International Triathlon the previous week. I exited the water in 18th place, approximately three minutes behind the first sprint swimmer.

“I had a strong ride, moving up to fifth place at the end of this section. The run was very controlled, and I didn’t take it too fast; I attacked the hills and finished strong. With that run execution I was able to move into first place by the two-kilometre mark of the fivekilometre rolling run course bringing home the bacon,” he said.

He intends to continue training on the local circuit before heading off to the London triathlon next month. (RA)